Metronaija.ng
Homepage , Entertainment , Metro News , Music Downloads, News, Photo-Stories, Politics, Sports

Court adjourned N2.2b final forfeiture suit against Airforce chiefs till November 12

Posted by Olokede in Metro News, News, Photo Stories, Politics on November 6, 2018

File : Air Marshall Adesola Amosu (retd) on trial for fraud

 

Akin Kuponiyi

A Federal High Court sitting in Lagos south West Nigeria today adjourned till November 12, 2018 to decide the application filed before the court seeking final forfeiture to the Federal Government of Nigeria the sum of N2.2 billion recovered from a former Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Adesola Amosu.

The presiding Judge Mojisola Olatoregun had earlier ordered an order of interim forfeiture of the said sum, on June 14, 2018 following an exparte application filed by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

Joined as respondents in the suit are Amosu, and a limited liability company, Solomon Enterprises Ltd.

The Anti-graft Agency had argued that the sums were reasonably suspected to be proceeds of unlawful activities.

READ ALSO  Kim Kardashian flaunts her underboob and banging bikini body at a beach in Bali (Photos)

Justice Olatoregun also issued an interim order for the temporary forfeiture of N190 million recovered from a former Air Force Director of Finance and Budget, Air Commodore Olugbenga Gbadebo.

The court further ordered a temporary forfeiture of N101million recovered from Solomon Enterprises, a company linked to Amosu.

The judge also directed EFCC to publish the interim orders in two national dailies, for the respondents or any other interested party, to show cause why a final order of forfeiture should not be made.

EFCC legal officer Mr Rotimi Oyedepo appeared for the commission while Mr Bolaji Ayorinde (SAN) appeared for the first respondent.

READ ALSO  It’ll take a decade to reverse damage in Niger Delta, says Buhari

Mr Oluwakemi Balogun (SAN) represented the Intervener/interested party (Bolaji Adigun)

Chief Ayorinde, told the court that he had a motion seeking to regularise, as well as another, seeking extension of time for the first respondent to file an affidavit to show cause, as directed by the court. The two applications were granted.

In response, however, Oyedepo told the court that he had only been served with a counter affidavit of the interested party, but had not received both the application for joinder and that seeking extension of time.

Following this development, and the court, observing that there were no proof of service in its file,adjourned the case till 12th November, 2018 for hearing.

In a counter affidavit deposed to by an EFCC operative, MUSA Danladi, the commission alleged that while in office, the respondents diverted huge sums of money from the Nigerian Air force accounts, to purchase properties both within and outside the country.

READ ALSO  Trump calls ex-aide Omarosa a "dog" in Latest Attack | Campaign Organisation files Breach of Confidentiality Suit

He said that Amosu who was appointed Chief of staff on Jan.16, 2014, had in the course of his service, received budgetary provisions in the sum of N4.5 billion, from Patrick Akpobolokemi, a former Director General of the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA).

The sum was said to be for Maritime Security Support, pursuant to a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the Nigerian Air force and NIMASA.

The Commission averred that part of the sums were utilised by the respondent for personal gains.

Click Here To Download Free Nollywood And Hollywood Movies

Related News



Navigation: Home Back Metronaija.Ng
Facebook Twitter Rss Feed


HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net

© 2018 Metronaija.Ng